cat-blog

Finn's Corner

Finn’s Corner

Covid-19 Update

We are OPEN and are still seeing routine and emergency cases, both in the clinic and in the field. 

But in accordance with social distancing and hygiene requirements we will be operating under a no client in clinic policy”.

When you arrive at the clinic processes have changed

To further reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission, we are restricting clients entering the clinic and when you arrive you will find the front door locked.

We ask that you either phone us on 5429 5711 or ring the afterhours doorbell located at the front door, so our staff can advise you of the next steps.

Patients will still receive the required veterinary treatment but will be taken into the clinic without their owners, as appropriate.  Our staff will will gather a history, discuss and confirm any treatment, adhering to social distancing and via phone to reduce transmission risk.

During this time our staff will provide all patients and clients with the upmost care and respect during and ask that you reflect this to our staff as well.

We are all working through these challenges and the primary goal of our team is to continue to provide excellent veterinary care whilst being mindful of transmission risk.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us to discuss these measures with the staff. Thankyou for your understanding and take care

Rat Bait Toxicity

imagesCAF4HK0U

Something we are seeing a lot of lately is clients bringing in pets that have consumed various forms of rat bait.

 

Rat bait disrupts the process by which the body produces Vitamin K, which is a necessary vitamin required for blood to clot. Hence, without Vitamin K animals can bleed to death. A main issue with pets consuming rat poison is that unless the pet is seen ingesting it, symptoms will not appear for 2-3 days after it has entered the body. If recognised too late internal bleeding can occur.

 

Symptoms that will appear around the 2-3day mark mainly include
• lethargy and
• weight loss
• collapse
• difficulty breathing.
If bleeding occurs, other signs of poisoning will include
• pale gums
• blood in the urine, vomit or stool,
• skin bruising
• bleeding from the nose
• pain when moving.

 

Rat bait toxicity can be identified by a blood clotting test however treatment will vary depending on the time it is diagnosed after consumption. If you have seen your pet ingest rat poison you should contact your local clinic immediately. If caught early enough a veterinarian can induce vomiting to remove the poison from the body before it enters your pets system. This is usually within a couple of hours of your pet ingesting the poison. If the poison is absorbed then they will require hospitalisation and supplementation with Vitamin K for up to 4 weeks. In severe cases blood transfusions are required.

 

We know that poisons and pets don’t mix so be sure to place and store rait baits carefully. Keep them out of areas where your pet has access and if storing them keep them in sealed containers. Prevention is the key!

  • © Copyright 2020 . All rights reserved.
    Website by MRGraphics
Close